Looking for you! Numb City Project/Productions, enabled by Africalia of Belgium and the Visual Arts Network of South Africa (VANSA), invites applications for a 12 month internship position, starting 1 April 2014.
The internship position is funded by Africalia, a Belgian arts funding agency, through a nation-wide, three-year programme of support to the visual arts sector facilitated by VANSA.
This is an opportunity for a young, black South African candidate (African candidates living in South Africa are also welcome to apply) to gain experience in the areas of arts administration, co-ordination and research; and to be involved in exciting interdisciplinary projects of the arts industry.
The intern will work closely with Numb City Productions on its major arts administration project, the Athenaeum Gallery, and its staff, in ensuring a number of visual arts projects are conceptualized, planned and delivered with excellence.
The areas in which the intern will gain experience include: arts administration, curatorial practice, marketing and communications, project management and may relate more specifically to:
- The management of activities and services which support the arts sector, involving projects and initiatives focused on the visual arts at the Athenaeum;
- Growing and developing a positive attitude and enhance image of the Athenaeum through quality marketing, presentation and execution of visual arts events and exhibitions;
- Developing a visual arts industry database;
- Coordinating art exhibitions and workshops;
- Assist with events and artist and public liaison;
- Development of map of the South African visual arts industry;
- Development of a map of the arts funding/aid industry available in South Africa;
- End-to-end (concept-to-completion) of a major arts administration project under the intern mentor and Athenaeum project manager;
- End-to-end (concept-to-completion) of an arts administration project: independently planned and organised by the intern;
- Applying knowledge, skills and techniques to execute projects effectively and efficiently;
- Learning and drawing inspiration from youth perspectives;
- Ensuring continuity and sustainability of projects.
The intern will be expected to commit to an average of 20 hours per week to work for Numb City Productions and a further 20 hours to a visual art industry activity, preferably their own visual arts project from within the Athenaeum. Numb City Productions would enable this through provision of studio space.
During opening functions and events, these hours may be outside of standard office hours. The intern will be expected to attend and assist at all Numb City
Productions and Athenaeum events.
Please submit a 2-page CV, short letter of motivation and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org copying in email@example.com before 15 March 2014.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview before the end of March 2014. No late or incomplete applications will be considered.
- Degree or relevant qualification in the visual arts
- Computer literacy – particularly on MS Word
- Need a strong knowledge of art and need to have basic understanding of how to curate exhibitions
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and research skills
- A drivers licence is an advantage, with own car
- No prior experience is needed, but is an advantage
- Under 29 years of age